This is a remote position.
This position will be open and accepting applications until 5 PM EST on August 28, 2020.
Most of our Federal contracts require U.S. Citizenship to be eligible for employment.
Ad Hoc is a remote-first digital services company that helps the federal government better serve people. Our founders were major contributors to the healthcare.gov rescue effort. We believe simple and modern development practices can help the government deliver digital services meeting the expectations we’ve grown accustomed to from the modern internet.
We’re looking for a senior data engineer who can help our customers unlock practical applications for data within one of our high-profile government programs. Specifically, we are looking for candidates who would like to use their engineering skills to help make Medicare and Medicaid claims and processing information easier to understand. This role will work directly with our partners at CMS to translate healthcare data into insights that can improve care. This is one of the first dedicated data engineering roles within the company, and you will have a clear impact on key strategic decisions that impact the growth and direction that our company takes within this field.
Many of our engineers come from a startup background, and this is their first experience working within an organization of this size. Your ability to tackle difficult technical problems creatively within constraints will be tremendously beneficial.
You’ll find time to focus on wearing one of your many hats, but will still thoroughly benefit and influence the program more broadly with your varied experience. If you enjoy debugging problems, mastering your development skills, solving simple (but large problems), and working with other passionate and mission driven engineers, we think you should reach out.
- All work must be conducted within the U.S.
- As a contractor to the federal government, all hires may be required to complete additional background screenings at the time of hire or any time thereafter as requested.
- Our technical screening involves completing our homework assignments exclusively – we do not do any form of whiteboarding in our process. You can read more about our homework here.
What You’ll Do
- Playing a key role in the technical development and operation of services that help manage and deliver data products.
- Demonstrating expertise, accountability, and ownership of your contributions to an application code base.
- Demonstrating expert-level knowledge in at least one technical area (including but not limited to frontend, backend, or infrastructure engineering).
- Maintaining a high level understanding of adjacent technical areas and ecosystems to effectively coordinate development and integration with those systems.
- Communicating on technical issues and developments, and systems with clients, stakeholders, partners, and other engineers. This may be in the form of design documents, system diagrams, or flow charts.
- Diagnosing and effectively resolving issues with the systems they own. You may participate on your team’s on call rotation.
- Using design documents, RFCs, and other mechanisms to propose and evaluate multiple approaches to technical and process problems.
- Planning and guiding mentorship opportunities, and assisting more junior engineers in the development of their skills.
- Understanding the role and value of failure in the development and maintenance of systems, and effectively using that information to provide educational opportunities and system improvements.
- Participating in a leadership capacity in smaller, less critical, or temporary team structures.
- Effectively communicating technical issues with team members and clients.
- Participating in technical depth interviews with new candidates.
What You’ll Bring
- Development skills in at least one major modern language well supported within the ecosystem (Python, Java)
- Expert understanding of data management fundamentals, including high level proficiency in at least one major database system and programming language (Postgres, etc)
- Experience with business intelligence and data exploration tools (such as Tableau)
- The ability to analyze and create data pipelines within a complex ecosystem, and develop improvements to them.
- An understanding of integrations with enterprise platform services (such as ServiceNow)
- The ability to generate and communicate insights with statistical analysis tools and techniques a major plus (Julia, R, etc)
- Familiarity with and a principles-based understanding of modern development practices and deployment pipelines (Agile and DevOps enabled)
- Company-subsidized Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Use What You Need Vacation Policy
- 401K with employer match
- Paid parental leave after one year of service
- Continuing education/annual conference attendance stipend
Ad Hoc LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
FreshRemote.work – Your gateway to fresh remote work anywhere.