Lambda School is on a mission to pioneer a new model of accessible higher education with no upfront costs and where the school invests in the students instead of the other way around. We are rethinking learning so that we can address the needs of both students and employers in tandem. We’re a progressive alternative to traditional college and fast track bootcamps. Lambda is an intensive program and an immersive live, online curriculum that teaches people the hard and soft skills they need to launch a new tech career. We offer both full time and part time courses to our students.
Lambda has successfully completed funding rounds with premier tier venture investors and we have students in almost every State across the United States. We’re looking for passionate, talented people who want to change the way the world thinks about higher education and unlock human potential, regardless of circumstance.
If that sounds exciting to you, let’s talk. Our success depends on building teams who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we don’t just accept differences – we celebrate them. Lambda School welcomes a diverse pool of applicants, including those from historically marginalized groups and non-traditional backgrounds who can appreciate the diverse student communities that we serve and are looking to grow into. This includes women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, individuals who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
As Director of Instructional Design, you will be responsible for the vision and strategy of our end to end learning experience including curriculum design, content development, and assessment products across new and existing programs. The Director will oversee a team of internal and external instructional designers, content developers, and subject matter experts, lead a variety of projects through collaboration with cross-functional partners, and work closely with department leadership to develop a vision for future strategic initiatives.
The Director will own the content roadmaps for the entire learning experience. He/she will help us take our curriculum to the next level by ensuring we’re meeting the needs of hiring managers in leading tech companies and operationalizing feedback implementation based on various inputs including data, industry and job market trends, learner and instructor feedback, and more. In addition to designing curriculum development processes rooted in instructional design best practices and research, this role will find innovative ways to enhance and optimize Lambda’s autonomous and blended learning experiences.
This is a highly visible, internal-facing role that will report directly to the VP of Learning. As a part of the Learning Leadership team at Lambda, you will also collaborate closely with your peers including instruction, technology, product, job placement, and learner operations leaders to determine the needs of the school and its learners. This role is ideal for an educator with a product mindset and an experienced people manager with a passion for technical skills education who wants to join a fast-growing startup that’s unlocking human potential regardless of circumstance.
What you’ll do:
- Recruit, hire, and manage a team of content developers, instructional designers, and subject matter experts
- Use human-centered design principles to research, create, and prioritize our content roadmap in new and existing content areas that are aligned to company goals and priorities
- Communicate this roadmap to key internal and external stakeholders and implement feedback on an ongoing basis
- Curate and prioritize learning pathways for new and existing learner personas
- Work with the team to manage the end-to-end processes: scope projects, integrate usability studies, build data-driven workflows, synthesize results and evangelize a learner-centric culture. Jump in when needed!
- Operationalize and formalize curriculum internal processes and documentation to ensure high quality content is delivered in the most effective and efficient manner possible
- Work cross-functionally with instruction, career placement, operations, product, and go-to-market teams to ensure optimal learner outcomes
- Develop systems and processes for regularly gathering, analyzing, and implementing feedback on curricula and assessments based on key quality metrics that relate to the company’s broader strategic goals
- Partner with external hiring managers to ensure our curriculum and assessment properly prepares students for the job market
- Act as the subject matter expert for all curriculum and assessment needs across the company (product, legal, sales, external partnerships, etc.)
What you’ll have:
- 7-10+ years of experience working in instructional design and/or curriculum and assessment development
- 5+ years of experience in hiring, managing and developing remote or distributed teams
- Industry experience as a Product Manager, Software Engineer, or Data Scientist is ideal
- Experience with multiple learning platforms (Canvas) and mediums; text-based, video-based and project-based learning
- Data-driven mindset, strong business judgment, and proven ability to perform relevant data analyses, draw key insights, and use data to form and execute a strategy
- Meticulous attention to detail and process-driven
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; comfortable and compelling in public speaking situations
- Excellent understanding of the technology landscape, how it all fits, and industry trends
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves, lead by example, and motivate teams
- Experience working in a high-paced environment that iterates on weekly or monthly cycles rather than semester or annual cycles
- Experience working with a product and engineering organization
- Experience working on or with an education leadership team
Lambda School is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, veteran or military status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Lambda School is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. Please let us know if you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability.
FreshRemote.work – Your gateway to fresh remote work anywhere.