Who we are:
Pixel Union and Out of the Sandbox are leading designers of premium themes and apps for the Shopify ecommerce platform. We’re focused on helping our merchants — entrepreneurs, innovators, brands, and businesses large and small — succeed by providing them with the world’s best digital products, backed by exceptional customer support.
We are a team of 90+ across all departments, with headquarters in Victoria, BC, and remote team members distributed across Canada and beyond.
About the role:
Pixel Union is adding to our Apps team and looking for an Intermediate Full-Stack Developer with experience building web applications end-to-end. If you are looking to build products used by thousands of people and make an impact on their businesses, please get in touch today!
Success in the role requires flexibility and adaptability, a passion for both the practice and the principles of effective software development, knowledge in a variety of development technologies, and a desire to work closely with the team to ensure our apps live up to Pixel Union’s reputation for industry-leading quality.
At Pixel Union we believe that working collaboratively is the best way to write code that won’t slow a team down over time. We do so through pairing and thoughtful code review – we’re comfortable explaining the thinking behind their technical choices and the tradeoffs considered when making them.
As a Pixel Union dev, you’ll…
- Develop features for merchants using Pixel Union’s Apps, in collaboration with other Apps developers
- Contribute to all aspects of our apps: backends written in Elixir and Node, frontends in React, storefront code in Liquid
- Participate in an iterative, collaborative development process – working closely with teammates to discover the best technical solutions to meet goals, then implementing them
- Help keep our apps running smoothly and merchants happy, by debugging problems, applying bug fixes, and improving performance
- Learn and apply new technologies and techniques that best address the problems at hand
- Participate in research activities to identify growth opportunities for our apps, turning these opportunities into real products
- Experience writing server-side application code with established web technologies such as Node.js, or Ruby on Rails
- Knowledge of principles for effective software development, and experience applying these principles in a team context to result in resilient, maintainable code
- Skills in communicating opinions and perspectives on suggested improvements in a team context, advocating for the best solution and reasoning behind it
- A collaborative approach towards solving problems and for sharing knowledge with others when solutions are found
- High standards for quality of work and reducing technical debt, pragmatically balanced with the goals of specific initiatives and technical strategy
- A habit of leaving things better than you found them – advocating for improvements to the team’s practices, processes, and tools, to help us reliably deliver quality results
If you have these skills that’s a huge plus!
- Interest in learning & writing functional code with Elixir. We’ll help you ramp up your knowledge with regular mentorship, as well as direction on the best learning materials for your experience level
- Experience developing with React and the ecosystem of commonly used libraries
- Experience maintaining, deploying, and debugging applications on cloud platforms such as AWS and/or Heroku
- Experience developing on the Shopify platform, including Liquid (Shopify’s templating language)
- Experience developing for ecommerce – WordPress, BigCommerce, etc
Please include a cover letter with your application – we’d love to better understand your background and experiences. We value diverse perspectives and believe that skills are transferable!
We are a company built on creativity, teamwork, and employee well-being. We trust our team members and encourage them to design their work schedules so that they can get the most out of their day. We value challenging ourselves and others to ask questions that uncover better solutions for the future, and we get joy from being around fun, communication-focused folks who want to make a difference at their work!
Some of our perks include:
- Flexible work schedule and remote-friendly culture and systems
- Providing company hardware and software
- Competitive base salary
- Opportunity for growth as the company grows
- Exposure and learning across teams and services
- Health benefits and RRSP matching
- Company-sponsored wellness allowance
- Generous vacation policy
We bring passion and energy to our work, and believe that work should be rewarding, interesting, and come at a sustainable pace. Our team members can be found across Canada, the U.S. and the UK, and are well-adapted to working from home and the remote lifestyle.
Please note that we will be filling this position within Canada. We look forward to hearing from you!
We thank all who show interest. Only those shortlisted will be contacted.
FreshRemote.work – Your gateway to fresh remote work anywhere.