At Very Good Security (“VGS”) we are on a mission to protect the world’s sensitive data- and we’d love to have you along for this journey. VGS was founded by highly successful repeat entrepreneurs and is backed by world-class investors like Goldman Sachs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Visa. We are building an amazing global team spread across four cities. As a young and growing company, we are laser-focused on delighting our customers and hiring talented and entrepreneurial-minded individuals.
As an Engineering Manager, you will lead highly technical and distributed customer-facing teams of engineers. These services are core infrastructure that handles millions of requests each day, are highly available, and power all of VGS’s products and hundreds of customers.
What you get to do:
- Utilize both your strong leadership and technical expertise to guide and enable teams of motivated engineers and be a role model for them. You inspire your teams to reach higher and you’re as good as explaining “why” as you are “how”.
- Ensure that your teams are shipping high quality and architecturally-sound software at a cadence that enables the company’s business roadmap.
- Ensure that every capability being built is a service with well designed developer interfaces.
- Review code and design, and provide technical oversight and guidance to your team.
- Recruit, onboard, and retain talented software engineers and provide the team with coaching, career mentorship, and regular guidance.
- Partner with product and engineering leadership in defining your team’s roadmap.
- Promote an engineering process that encourages continuous delivery and shipping value to customers frequently while maintaining a relentless focus on security.
- Have a data-driven approach for running an effective engineering team (e.g. measuring rate of code deploys, time from committing to deploy, MTTR, change failure rate)
- Champion and model core VGS values of collaboration, relentless execution, and transparency; in going above and beyond what is required in order to do the right thing for our customers and the company; and promote a fun, inclusive, open work environment.
What you bring to the role:
- 10+ years of software development experience building ideally in a SaaS/PaaS company building internet-scale infrastructure, and 3+ years of experience in a leadership/people management role that empathizes with customer needs.
- Coding will not be your primary job, however you are comfortable pitching in as needed and supporting your team and customers, modeling to your team what it takes to build production-quality code, and support services in production.
- Strong knowledge of the Java ecosystem, and deep experience with the AWS stack, especially EBT, Kinesis, Lambda, RDS.
- Experience with modern DevOps practices, Infrastructure as code, and working experience with Docker and Kubernetes.
- An understanding of how to build for scale, but able to make pragmatic choices to move quickly. You must have a strong bias for action!Outcome-oriented, and an understanding that providing business value should be the key focus for engineering teams.
- Comfortable working in roles that at times will be customer-facing.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience successfully working with distributed teams across time zones will be a plus.
FreshRemote.work – Your gateway to fresh remote work anywhere.