As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience’s daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
We’re seeking an experienced and motivated Machine Learning Data Engineer to join our Revenue Product engineering team.
About Vox Media’s Data Team:
Our Data Team is a small but knowledgeable group of data enthusiasts. The team is currently composed of a data engineer, data scientist, product manager, project manager and an engineering manager.
As part of our data team, you will be an integral part of Vox’s data ecosystem. Our team works closely with data science, product and editorial teams to ingest and transform data, develop models to improve user engagement, and develop products and strategies for handling data requests. We work full stack, playing with infrastructure, data stores, APIs and every once in a while, client-side code.
This role is part of the Revenue Product group and will report to the Data Engineering Manager. We are excited for you to join us!
What you’ll do:
- Build and maintain data pipelines that are trustworthy and reliable.
- Contribute to our data lake infrastructure.
- Train, evaluate, deploy, serve and monitor Machine Learning models and platforms.
- Support and improve our toolset to serve the data needs of our internal customers.
- Build tools that empower others to access and understand answers to their own data questions
- Work alongside product, revenue and editorial colleagues to deliver the best experience for our business.
- Participate in Agile ceremonies (scrum/daily standup, sprint planning, retrospectives)
- Utilize available documentation and contribute to writing new documentation where it is needed.
- Showcase your favorite background during our regular “SELECT * FROM life WHERE subject != ‘work’” Zooms.
- Actively track and communicate task status using project management systems (Jira).
- Collaborate often and efficiently with teammates via Slack, Zoom, Jira and email.
- Be a part of a thoughtful and energetic engineering team at Vox.
- Have fun tackling challenges and learning within a diverse team of Engineers, Data Analysts, Product Managers and Project Managers.
What you’ll bring:
- Proficiency with:
- SQL (particularly with Postgresql and BigQuery)
- GCP and AWS
- Machine Learning algorithms and operations
- Willingness to work with remote-first teams; comfort communicating remotely through Slack, docs, video calls and diagrams.
- Experience with ML techniques (text classification, clustering, recommender systems).
- Proficiency in operating machine learning solutions at scale, covering the end-to-end ML workflow.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with larger multi-disciplinary teams.
- Appreciation for people. Curiosity-fueled empathy to improve those around you through culture, engineering and relationships.
- Comfort balancing the demands and intersections between business needs, privacy and security, user experience, editorial requirements and technical excellence.
- An interest in designing and implementing scalable data products.
- Experience in data instrumentation and monitoring
- Champion for engineering and operational standards, including infrastructure-as-code, change control, testing, and automation
- Ideas, opinions and the ability to share them through respectful code and design reviews, proposals, talks, diagrams and team-wide discussions.
- Overwhelming desire to learn from, and teach, those around you.
- Comfort giggling. Even at yourself sometimes.
Bonus points for:
- Experience with any of the following tools that we use:
- Experimentation and optimization tools
- Ruby, Rails, Node.js
- Awareness of data privacy practices (GDPR, CCPA)
- Remote work experience in a team
For more on the things we’re building and problems we’re solving, and what it’s like to work with the Product, Design & Technology teams, see our Product Team blog. In an effort to provide an inclusive and respectful working environment, all team members adhere to our code of conduct.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
FreshRemote.work – Your gateway to fresh remote work anywhere.