At Monzo we do things differently: we truly care about providing a phenomenal experience for our customers. We believe there’s a better way to do banking, and we want to be the best possible bank without getting stuck in the old ways of doing things.
- Our mission is to make money work for everyone.
- To do that we need to give our customers the best possible experience, but make sure their information and rights are protected at all times.
- A key role in that is the DPO. We hold a significant amount of information about our customers and people, we are trusted with this and want to hold ourselves to high standards regarding the handling of that information.
- This role is defining, delivering and owning a comprehensive privacy framework, being pragmatic and balanced about the way that is delivered at Monzo.
We need to make sure that we’re building our bank in a compliant manner; we also want to make sure we’re doing what’s ethical, appropriate and fair for our customers – following both the letter and the spirit of all applicable legislation. We want our bank to be safe and secure for our customers, so data privacy and security are very important to us.
We’re looking for a knowledgeable, collaborative and experienced Data Protection Officer (DPO) to make sure we’re not only customer-focused and innovative, but fully compliant with the privacy obligations we have. As DPO, you will perform a critical role in making sure that the data privacy of our customers and people meet the regulatory requirements at all times.
As the DPO, you will outline, lead and implement our data protection principles. You will build privacy into the culture at Monzo and make sure that everyone is aware of their responsibilities and the minimum standards we expect.
We expect you to work with the business, be close to our product teams to enable growth and diversification on our journey to building a new way of banking. Monzo is not an organisation that lives to tick boxes, we need to strike the right balance for our customers to continue to grow and provide the best products and services.
The DPO will report to our Chief Information Security Officer (CISO).
You’ll be responsible for all aspects of data privacy including:
- Building a framework for compliance with GDPR and other Privacy legislation for Monzo.
- Acting as point of contact with supervisory authorities and internal teams.
- Working with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) and being their point of contact for data breaches.
- Identifying and evaluating the company’s data processing activities and ensuring Records of Processing Activity (ROPAs) are in place.
- Implementing processes for completion of Data Protection Impact Assessments (DPIAs) and ensuring that associated risks are managed appropriately.
- Making sure we build in privacy by design at all levels.
- Making sure we address all data subject access requests (DSARs) within required timeframes and with the appropriate information.
- Liaising with other organisations that process data on our behalf.
- Defining and updating policies and procedures related to data privacy.
- Helping to deal with data privacy breaches and building the supporting processes.
- Making sure that appropriate data privacy training is in place for our people and partners.
- Monitoring changes in law and issuing recommendations to maintain compliance.
- Defining and implementing methods to continually measure the level of maturity and compliance of data privacy across the organisation.
You should apply if:
- You have extensive experience in data protection or legal compliance across a corporate environment.
- You have in-depth knowledge of GDPR and national/international data protection laws.
- You have a clear understanding of the types of processes carried out by banks and the customer data involved.
- You are capable and enthusiastic about leading and promoting a culture of data protection within an organisation.
- You have excellent communication and collaboration skills
🔥 Highly Desirable: – You have at least one data protection and/or privacy certification, such as CIPP, CIPT, CIPM, ISEB
- This can be based in our new London office or remote within the UK
- The closing date for applications for this role is Wednesday 12th May at 6pm
We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
Diversity and inclusion is a priority for us – if we want to solve problems for people around the world, our team has to represent our customers. So we need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on our blog.
If you prefer to work part-time, we’ll make this happen whenever we can – whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
The application process consists of a 30mins phone call with a recruiter, an initial call with someone from the team, followed by a practical written exercise and 2-3 on-site interviews at our office in London or remotely via hangouts. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.
FreshRemote.work – Your gateway to fresh remote work anywhere.