Who We Are Looking For:
This Section Editor position covers home entertainment tech including TVs, speaker systems, streaming boxes, and headphones, as well as the TV and movies that fans are passionate about enjoying on this hardware. We focus on the largest, most popular companies and brands in this space including LG, Samsung, Sony, Netflix, Hulu, and Disney. The ideal candidate for this position has a deep knowledge of each company’s presence in the home entertainment space and passion for technology, consumer electronics, and media.
Section Editors are leaders. You’ll decide where to focus resources, make calls on what events we should cover, maintain a coverage calendar, and manage writers to support your efforts. You’ll take the long view and plan coverage months in advance, integrating research from a wide range of teams. Yet you’ll also have to make split-second decisions when unexpected news breaks.
Applicants for this position must have a broad base of knowledge in home entertainment tech. While you might prefer a specific setup in your own living room, you should be deeply familiar with all key products that make up the home entertainment beat, and possess an ability to convey that technical understanding to mainstream readers.
Section Editors are expected to share their industry knowledge with the Digital Trends audience via multiple media channels, growing their industry presence using popular digital platforms.
Our ideal candidate is based in the Portland or New York tri-state area, which puts them near our offices, and in the case of New York, future industry events. Regardless of location, candidates should be willing to travel regularly as in-person meetings and events return to 2019 levels.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop and maintain expert-level knowledge of the home entertainment industry, from hardware to content.
- Oversee every level of content production from freelance writers to staff writers and editors.
- Identify trends and top-performing articles to shape future editorial efforts.
- Standardize reviews with and comparisons with repeatable benchmarks and procedures.
- Maintain relationships with key companies to ensure timely and extensive industry coverage.
- Hire and train new writers with an eye and ear to quality, speed, and voice.
- Write informed product reviews, thoughtful analysis, and pointed opinion pieces.
- Represent Digital Trends within the assigned area of expertise on video, television, radio and in print.
- Provide constructive, forward-looking input to help shape Digital Trends’ editorial standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3+ years’ experience in editorial position focusing on consumer electronics; history in a home entertainment-focused role is a plus.
- A deep passion and knowledge of consumer electronics including TVs, home theater, streaming, and media.
- Excellent writing and editing skills; able to write in a style that is interesting to the core audience.
- Communication and interpersonal skills; able to communicate and provide feedback effectively to others.
- Experience working with web content management systems (WordPress preferred) and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills and attention to detail.
- Photography and videography skills are a plus.
- College degree in journalism or related field preferred.
- Broad knowledge of the current tech landscape beyond just home entertainment is a necessity.
- Willingness to work in an office environment.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks effectively and meet deadlines.
What’s In It For You:
- Exceptional benefits package including: medical, prescription, dental and vision insurance, 401k, flexible spending accounts, pre-tax commuter transit and parking benefits, paid parental leave, sabbatical leave after 5 years of service, flexible paid time off, life insurance, company-paid short-term and long-term disability.
- Be a part of the solution, see our commitments here: Seven Point Plan to Meaningfully Address Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
Digital Trends Media Group (DTMG) is the world’s largest independent innovation media company. 200 million people each month engage with our network of tech and lifestyle media brands, influencing culture and igniting conversation around the ever-evolving worlds of innovation. DTMG’s core demographic is the HENRY (High Earners Not Rich Yet) millennial, whose sphere of influence spans generations. Through in-depth reporting, product reviews, and commentary that entertains as much as it informs, we speak to the audiences that matter most, about the innovation that deeply affect their lives.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
FreshRemote.work – Your gateway to fresh remote work anywhere.