Data Scientist – User Segmentation (Remote, 6 months) at MoveOn
MoveOn is a diverse and vibrant community of millions of people working together to create progressive change in America. We are an innovative campaigning organization that supports people throughout the country to take action through driving impactful campaigns that influence the behavior of people and institutions, shape the outcomes of elections, and expand the realities of what’s possible. We organize to challenge entrenched power, while pursuing economic, racial, and social justice and a vision of a country in which everyone can thrive.
MoveOn has a vital role to play in securing progress during the Biden-Harris administration, and in organizing the grassroots to set up election wins in 2021, 2022, and beyond. We are building a powerful, multiracial, and economic populist movement, and fighting for progress on health care, climate, racial justice and more. In service of that mission, in 2021 and beyond, MoveOn will drive movement-connected, multichannel, nimble campaigns aimed at impact.
- Who are the people most likely to take action on a particular call to action around a particular issue and thus should be included in the target audience?
- Who are the people most likely to not take action or to unsubscribe when sent a particular call to action around a particular issue and thus should be excluded from the target audience?
- What messages should be sent to what portion of the list to increase aggregate list engagement and activity over time?
- Research and compare various approaches for segmenting our mobile membership.
- Evaluate pros/cons of different methods, navigating complexities around cost tradeoffs.
- Identify a particularly promising method for segmentation, develop a process for implementing it, and then execute the analytics involved.
- Establish a plan for tracking and validating the success of the project.
- Develop any necessary training materials for campaign staff to operationalize the segmentation approach in their daily work.
- Summarize your work in a written report detailing methodological considerations, how segmentation was implemented, and the steps needed to maintain the project’s success in the future.
Have experience with complex data analysis as well as a deep understanding of a variety of statistical methods and/or advanced machine learning techniques.
- Have experience working with large datasets.
- Be an independent, self-driven problem-solver.
- Be clear about what you know and seek help for things you don’t know. We don’t expect you to be an expert in everything, but we do want someone who is willing to ask questions when needed and know where to go to get help.
- Be a thoughtful and clear communicator. You will sometimes need to work with other individuals and teams across MoveOn. Being able to communicate effectively about technical and nontechnical aspects of the work will be critical to maximizing success.
- Be able to work successfully in a remote environment.
5 or more years experience in data analysis and statistics
- Advanced data skills using R or Python
- Familiarity working with and extracting meaning from large datasets
- Communicating technical results with nontechnical audiences
- Preferred but not required:
- Experience in user segmentation analysis
- Familiarity with SQL
- Understanding of advanced experimental methods
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the contiguous United States. May require occasional travel.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
We Work Remotely: Remote jobs in design, programming, marketing and more